Estate planning  is a sensitive issue and many avoid the subject until it’s too late. This can and will compromise your heir’s benefits, or at least delay them when they will be needed most. It’s never too late to start. It is advisable to compile this information long before it will be needed, and the earlier the better. You can always update/revise your plans as time and circumstances dictate.
Request a Federal Retirement Report ™ to review projected annuity payments, income verses expenses, FEGLI, and TSP projections.
Our checklist is not all inclusive and is meant to provide essential information needed by survivors when an annuitant first dies. If the information isn’t compiled beforehand, heirs can collect the data as they work through the check list. However, it is advantageous to compile information ahead of time to make things easier for your family.
We recently expanded our Survivor’s Checklist  to four pages and added additional content to help heirs retain their benefits through this difficult time. The checklist includes procedures for reporting a death to OPM, lists critical contact numbers for the TSP, OPM, FEGLI, Social Security, Medicare, the records center, and others.
For those who haven’t collected this critical data, there is no time like the present to start. Download the form and add your personal information such as final arrangement contacts, attorney, will and trust location, and attach letters of instruction, a survivor’s report, list of bank and brokerage accounts, contact lists, and other essential data.
There are two versions available, a Word and PDF file. You can download the PDF file  or use the Word file  that you can expand and tailor to fit your personal situation. Share these with your family and friends. We are designing a comprehensive fill-in PDF format for a future release.
Helpful Retirement Planning Tools
- GS Pay Scales  (Current Year)
- Retirement Planning For Federal Employees & Annuitant 
- Budget Work Sheet 
- Are Your Loved Ones at Risk – Final Arrangements (Part 1) 
- Final Arrangements (Part 2) 
- Medicare Guide 
- Social Security Guide 
- Master Retiree Contact List  (Important contact numbers and information)
- Leave and Schedule Chart  (Use this chart to set target retirement dates.)
- Annuity Calculator (FREE Excel chart estimates annuity growth)
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein by the author are not an investment or benefit recommendation and are not meant to be relied upon in investment or benefit decisions. The author is not acting in an investment, tax, legal, benefit, or any other advisory capacity. This is not an investment or benefit research report. The author’s opinions expressed herein address only select aspects of various federal benefits and potential investment in securities of the TSP and companies mentioned and cannot be a substitute for comprehensive investment analysis. Any analysis presented herein is illustrative in nature, limited in scope, based on an incomplete set of information, and has limitations to its accuracy. The information upon which this material is based was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but has not been independently verified. Therefore, the author cannot guarantee its accuracy. Any opinions or estimates constitute the author’s best judgment as of the date of publication, and are subject to change without notice. The author explicitly disclaims any liability that may arise from the use of this material.
Last 5 posts by Dennis Damp
- Retirement Planning Assistance – Finding Help (2022 Update)  - August 12th, 2022
- Power to the People – PLEASE!  - August 6th, 2022
- 2023 COLA Projections and Treasury Rates Rising  - July 22nd, 2022
- FEHB Open Season for 2023 Plans– Higher Costs on the Horizon  - July 16th, 2022
- TSP Site Access Update & the Mutual Fund Window  - July 1st, 2022
- Treasury Bills & COLA Updates - Yields Rising Dramatically  - June 17th, 2022
- NEW TSP SITE UP AND RUNNING – Give it a try!  - June 3rd, 2022
- ALERT - OPM Services Online Access Changes  - May 27th, 2022
- CAUTION - PREPARE FOR THE TSP TRANSISTION  - May 13th, 2022
- I Bonds Yield 9.62% While the Sky is Falling!  - May 6th, 2022
- 2023 COLA - Up, Up, and Away  - April 29th, 2022
- Which Way is Up – A Retiree’s Conundrum  - April 8th, 2022